Yesterday, past midnight, I received a call from my sister that she had locked herself out of her home. Half asleep and annoyed, I told her to simply unlock the home by entering the code on the home door lock. On this, she told me that she had forgotten the code of the Schlage door lock. At once, I assumed that she was either drunk or joking, but I soon realized that she was serious. I understand that the mere thought that you forgot your door lock code when you didn’t have the key can be very stressful.
When it comes to securing our homes, various systems like hidden cameras, wireless alarms, window locks, etc., can keep you and your belongings safe but the simplest option is the most important one, i.e., your door locks. The secured door lock ensures that your home is easily not accessible to intruders. With modern electronic locks taking place in our lives, our homes are now more secure than ever as these locks are quite difficult to break in.
When we talk about front door smart locks, we can’t do without talking about the Schlage smart locks. Schlage is a trusted home security name and one of the best apartment locks in the US. Smart locks are designed to suit any lifestyle. There can be several occasions where you may need to change or reset the code of your lock, and Schlage allows you to do that with ease.
There are two types of codes associated with a Schlage smart lock- the programming code and the user code. The code that unlocks your lock is the user code which can only be changed if you know the programming code of the lock. In case the programming code is not known, you will have to reset and reprogram your Schlage lock.
In this article, we will talk about how to change the Schlage keypad code in detail.
Understanding The Codes on A Schlage Lock
The front door locks of our homes and offices are unsung heroes that guard our spaces 24X7 and keep the thieves and rogues away. In my opinion, Schlage smart locks are the superheroes of the species which have the special power of making our lives convenient.
There are two types of lock codes that support the security system of Schlage door locks. The codes can be found in the user manual and on a label at the back of the smart lock.
Before we proceed to learn how to change the Schlage code, it is important to understand the types of codes associated with the lock.
The programming code is a default six-digit code that can be found in the user manual. The programming code of the Schlage lock is used to put the Schlage smart lock into programming mode and does not unlock the smart lock. Hence, in order to program your Schlage smart lock, you must know the 6-digit programming code. In case you do not have access to the user manual, you may locate the same on a label at the back of the lock.
Once you know the programming code of your Schlage smart lock, you may add up to 19 users and can uninstall any user at any time. You also need the programming code to activate or deactivate the vacation mode, turn the lock’s beeper on or off, activate the switch lock, etc.
The user code is a 4-digit, routine code that works as the key to your home or office. The default user code can be found in the user manual or on the label at the back of your Schlage smart lock. You can change this code to a code of your choice.
You may set up to 19 user codes on your Schlage lock, from which one is the primary user code, and the rest are the guest codes. The user code of your Schlage smart lock must be different from the first four digits of the programming code.
How To Change The 4-Digit User Code On A Schlage Lock?
To change the user code on your Schlage lock (whether you have Encode or Connect), it is important that you know the programming code of the lock. Locate the programming code of your Schale smart lock. If you haven’t changed the default programming code, you may find it in the user manual or at the back of your smart lock. In case you changed the programming code of your Schlage lock and can’t remember it, you will have to reset the keypad to its default setting, which I will discuss in the later section of the article.
Once you have access to the programming code, follow the given steps to change the code on your Schlage lock.
- Step 1: Enter the 6-digit programming code on your Schlage lock’s keypad. You will notice that the Schlage button will blink orange and beep thrice.
- Step 2: Press the Schlage button and the number 1 on the keypad simultaneously. You will observe that the Schlage button will again blink orange and beep thrice.
- Step 3: Now, enter the new user code on the keypad. It is to be noted that the new code must not be already in use as the primary user code or a guest code. Also, the new user code must be different from the first four digits of your programming code.
- Step 4: Enter the same 4-digit code once more. You will notice that the Schlage button will now flash green, confirming your new user code.
- Step 5: Once your new user code is added, to remove the old user code, press the 6-digit programming code again.
- Step 6: Now press the Schlage button and the number 2 simultaneously to remove the old user code. Wait until the Schlage button flashes orange and beeps thrice.
- Step 7: Enter the old 4-digit user code you want to remove. The Schlage button will again flash orange and beep thrice.
- Step 8: Once again, enter the same 4-digit user code you want to remove. The Schlage button will beep long and flash green to confirm the deletion.
Once you follow the above steps correctly, you will succeed in changing the user code of your Schlage smart lock. Test the new user code to ensure that code has been changed.
How To Change The 6-Digit Programming Code On A Schlage Lock?
A programming code allows you to program the user codes on your Schlage smart locks. As mentioned above, the code also helps you activate and deactivate several other features of the lock. In case you wish to change the default or existing programming code of your Schlage lock, you can do so following the steps given below.
- Step 1: Enter the existing 6-digit programming code on your Schlage lock keypad.
- Step 2: Press the Schlage button and button three on your keypad simultaneously. You will notice that the Schlage button will flash orange and beep thrice.
- Step 3: Now, enter the new 6-digit programming code and wait until the Schlage button flashes orange and beeps thrice again.
- Step 4: Now re-enter the new 6-digit code programming code again. You will notice that the Schlage button will turn, indicating that the code has been changed.
How To Change Code On Schlage Lock Without Programming Code?
In case you changed your default programming code and cannot remember the existing code, you will have to reprogram your Schlage lock to change the user code.
Here are the steps to do so.
Resetting the Schlage Lock
- Step 1: Disconnect the batteries of your Schlage smart lock.
- Step 2: Press and hold the Schlage button on the lock.
- Step 3: Reconnect the batteries of your lock while holding the Schlage button.
- Step 4: Release the Schlage button. You will notice that the lock will perform a setup process. Wait until the bolt of the lock stops moving.
Once the lock bolt stops moving, the reset process of the lock will be complete.
Delete All User Codes
- Step 1: Enter your default 6-digit programming code.
- Step 2: Press the Schlage button and the number 6 on the lock keypad simultaneously.
- Step 3: Now, enter your 6-digit default programming code again. To confirm the deletion, the Schlage button will blink green and beep.
Add New User Code
- Step 1: Enter the 6-digit programming code on your Schlage lock’s keypad and wait till the Schlage button blinks orange and beeps thrice.
- Step 2: Press the Schlage button and the number 1 on the keypad simultaneously and wait till the Schlage button blinks orange and beeps thrice again.
- Step 3: Now, enter the 4-digit new user code on the keypad.
- Step 4: Enter the same 4-digit code once more until the Schlage button flashes green to confirm your new user code.
Following the above steps, you will be able to change the user code of your Schlage lock without the programming code that you have forgotten.
Some Tips For A Secured Home
Home security is a priority for every homeowner. If your home is secured by a smart door lock, keeping a few things in mind can enhance the security system and keep you and your belongings safe.
Here are a few tips that I recommend for a secured home experience with your smart door locks.
- Change the code on your Schlage lock often as it ensures that your home is safe and unauthorized individuals do not have access to your space.
- Avoid using easy-to-guess codes like your birthday, anniversary, digits of the phone number, etc.
- Avoid sharing your primary user codes with others and add a guest code for somebody who will have access to your home for a temporary period.
- Delete the guest codes when they are no longer in use to prevent anyone from entering your home without your knowledge.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is vacation mode on Schlage door locks? How to activate the vacation mode?
Answer – Vacation mode disables all guest user codes at the keypad so that only the primary user code works. Vacation mode ensures that nobody can enter your home in your absence.
To activate the vacation mode, type your 4-digit primary user code on the Schlage lock keypad and wait till the Schlage button flashes orange and beeps 3 times. Then press the Schlage button and number 4 simultaneously till the Schlage button turns green. The green light indicates that your lock is in vacation mode.
Q2. How many guest codes can I add to my Schlage door lock?
Answer – You may add up to 19 codes, including the primary and guest user codes.
Q3. Why am I unable to create a new user code?
Answer – In most cases, there are two reasons why you may be unable to add a new user code to your Schlage lock. One, your Schlage lock already has 19 codes added to it. So, you will have to remove a code to add another.
The other reason could be that you are adding a user code with digits identical to your programming code. In this case, try adding a different user code with digits different from the first four digits of the programming code.
Q4. How do you remove Schlage deadbolts?
Answer – I have covered how to remove a Schlage deadbolt in great detail here.
Home security is a necessity to keep your family and belongings safe and smart locks are a great way to ensure the security of your home. Schlage is a trusted brand for home security and is known for its great reputation. If you have Schlage locks installed at your home, learning how to change the code on Schlage locks is important. Schlage allows you to change both the programming and user code. You can add up to 19 user codes, including the primary user code and guest user codes.
The article must have helped you understand how to change the code of your Schlage lock. If you have more questions about the same, write to me in the comment section.
I have been a security guy throughout my life. For the last 30 years, I have been making homes safer and hence, putting people at ease. Even on the other side of age, I get fascinated by how technology and simple hacks can make a whole lot of difference to the overall security of the house.