Statement lighting is the crown jewel of any space and is an excellent way to display your personality and taste. Being an interior designer, I am really fond of changing the look of my house by altering the lighting every now and then. The process and the outcome both are like therapy to me, and I dearly enjoy both. Hence, I often think of low-cost innovative ways to make my home look all new. The last time I revamped my home, I decided to remove and reuse my LED in the bedroom. This time I wanted to experiment with my living room.
I believe that revamping your furniture and playing around with the wall decor can change the way your house looks but changing the lights can change the whole vibe of your place. It wasn’t a long time ago that I installed recessed lighting at my home, but I decided to add a dash of vintage look to my living room by adding swag lights. With everything minimalistic coming back into the trend, swag lights have made a massive comeback in the home decor world.
Honestly speaking, this was my first time with swag lights, so I did a lot of research about these lights before I finally bought them. Once they were home, I obviously started looking for how to hang a swag light from the ceiling. Putting my research to some good use, I decided to write this article after installing the swag lights that I love too much.
You can hang your swag light through swag hooks. You can install the hooks into your ceiling by drilling holes keeping in mind the size and dimensions of your swag light. The light can either be connected to the light fixture or plugged into the wall outlet for the power supply.
In this article, I will walk you through how to hang a swag lamp at your home. But before that, for those who aren’t familiar, let us learn what a swag light is and how it is different from the chandelier.
What Is A Swag Light?
Swag lights are shaded or bare socket lights hanging from the ceiling fixtures. These lights take up minimal space and provide a modern look to your space. I find them a quick and easy way to add edgy light to any space as they don’t require any wiring or electrical work. You can simply plug the light into a wall outlet and illuminate your home as you like.
A great benefit of swag lights is that they can be placed at any area where additional lighting is needed. Popularized recently, swag lights are making a resurgence in American homes for their vintage yet minimal look. I like the fact that these lights offer an affordable lighting solution that is both practical and stylish.
How Is A Chandelier Different From A Swag Light?
A chandelier is a light suspended from the ceiling with multiple light bulbs in a single fixture, whereas a swag light is a light fixture suspended from the ceiling with a single light bulb installed in it. Chandeliers are quite showy and are likely to stand out, but swag lights are a subtle way to accentuate the look of your space.
While a chandelier is a costly investment as they are quite expensive, swag lights are an economical way to add a statement to your space. However, since swag lights are gaining popularity, they are available in a varied price range in the market ranging from $10 to $7000 dollars. A chandelier generally hangs from a chain to support the weight of its branches. The traditional look of upright lights mimics the look of candles in the place where the bulbs are now situated in chandeliers. Swag lights are suspended by a simple cord or chain with a light bulb at the terminal.
How To Make A Swag Lamp That Plugs In?
While there is a variety of swag lights available in the market, if you found swag lights interesting but are not considering investing money in them, I have good news for you. If you are a sucker at DIY like I am, you can make your own swag light with almost no money. All you need is a light bulb and a lamp cord. You may also add a decorative lamp around the light bulb or add a jute basket to create a bohemian light. You can use your creativity and use jute and other stuff to make your swag light look beautiful.
If you do not have a lamp cord, you can simply attach a cable to an E26 light bulb or a light bulb of your choice.
Once you have a DIY swag lamp with a cord, you may want to look for how to hang a swag light without a chain. Read the next section of the article to know how.
Hanging A Swag Light From The Ceiling
Once you decide to install a swag light in your living room, office, or study room, it is obvious that you will look for how to install the swag lights. Well, let me tell you that these lights are one of the easiest to install. Hence, a do-it-yourselfer with basic skills and tools can install a stylish swag light at their place without any problem. If you don’t believe me, you shall after reading this section of the article
How To Hang A Swag Light In A Light Fixture?
- Step 1: Ensure turning off the power supply of the fixture before you begin installing the swag lights or avoid any accidents.
- Step 2: If there is any old fixture already installed in the location where you plan to hang the swag lights, remove it using the screwdriver or helix screw.
- Step 3: Connect the cord of the swag light into the fixture carefully by joining the like wires together. Connect the hot or live wire in the fixture to the hot or live wire of the cord, and connect the neutral wire in the fixture to the neutral wire of the cord. Usually, the hot or live wire is red in color, and the neutral wire is white in color. You may use wire connectors to connect the wires or simply twist the exposed parts of the wires to join them together.
- Step 4: You may hang your swag light directly through the fixture but if you wish to hand the light on a hook, drill a hole around 15-20 inches away from the fixture and hang the light.
How To Hang A Plug-In Swag Light With A Chain?
- Step 1: Locate the area in your space where you are planning to install the swag light. You may choose to install the lights over your study table, dining area, or reading corner. Ensure that there is a wall outlet located close to the area where you decide to hang the light.
- Step 2: Place a mark on the ceiling where you would install your swag light and drill holes at the marks to install swag hooks at the place. Mark the point carefully keeping in mind the shape of your swag light. Use a stud finder to locate a stud as close to the desired spot as possible.
- Step 3: Place another mark on the ceiling around 3-6 inches away from the wall where the wall outlet is. Ensure that the mark is right above the outlet on the ceiling. Drill a hole at the mark and install another swag hook.
- Step 4: Hang the swag lamp onto the hook farther from the wall using the decorative chain. If you are hanging the swag light above a table, the light should be installed 30-36 inches above the tabletop.
- Step 5: Run the chain along the ceiling and hang it on the second hook closer to the wall. Choose whether you want the chain loose against the ceiling or tight.
- Step 6: Plug the light into the wall outlet and use the switch to turn it on or off.
How To Hang A Swag Light Without A Chain?
If you are planning to install a swag light with a cord kit in your home, you can do so easily. All you need to do is a wall outlet in the vicinity and two swag hooks on the ceiling. But before you drill the holes, ensure that the cord is reaching the wall outlet from where you plan to hang the swag lights. If the cord does not reach the outlet, consider hanging the swag light elsewhere or adding an extension cord to connect your light to the power.
I recommend running the cord down through the corner of the wall rather than the middle as it makes the project look more attractive.
Let us learn how to hang a swag lamp without a chain using the cord.
- Step 1: Locate the area in your space where you are planning to install the swag light ensuring that there is a wall outlet located close to the area where you decide to hang the light.
- Step 2: Keeping in mind the shape of your swag light, place a mark and drill a hole in the ceiling where you would hang your swag light.
- Step 3: Right above the wall outlet, place another mark on the ceiling around 3-6 inches away from the wall. Drill a hole at the mark and install another swag hook.
- Step 4: Hang the end of the cord with the light on the hook on the ceiling where your light is to be hung. Traverse the cord through the ceiling to the wall outlet through the hook on the ceiling closer to the wall. Plug in the cable to the wall outlet and use the switch to turn on and off your light.
Q1. Can you install a plug-in swag light in a light fixture?
Answer – You can install a plug-in swag light in a light fixture by cutting the end of the cord that has a plug and connecting the wires of the remaining cord into the fixture. Read the steps given in the article to connect the cord to the light fixture properly.
Q2. Can swag light cords give you an electric shock?
Answer – If the cord of the swag light is properly insulated, it is less likely to give you a shock. However, you may get an electric shock if the cord is frayed.
If you are a fan of statement lighting as I am, you would love to install a swag light in your space. The lights are economical and vogue and can accentuate the look of any space. You can choose a swag light to compliment any kind of decor from basic to designer and vintage to modern. Your office table, study table, or a corner in your living room, these lights can hang out wherever you choose. You may also wear your creative hat and make your DIY swag lights using a light bulb and a lamp cord. Moreover, these lights are easy to install which makes your life comfortable.
The article must have helped you if you are looking for how to install swag lights at your home or office. If you have more questions about swag lights, you may write to me in the comment section.
As an interior decorator, I am always looking to make homes beautiful but with minimalism. As a part of my occupation, I am always in touch with smart devices that makes your life easy, beautiful and comfortable. I take care of the smart living section for BringUptoDate.