- If the Toshiba Fire TV remote is not working, power cycle the tv remote as the first fix. To power cycle the remote, remove the batteries and hold the power button for 15 seconds to drain out any residual power.
- Other fixes for making the stopped Toshiba Fire Tv remote are replacing the batteries, resetting the remote, keeping your tv remote in range, repairing the remote and resetting the Toshiba Tv.
- You can also operate your TV by installing the free Toshiba Fire Tv remote app
Yesterday, I visited one of my friend’s places to watch the Arsenal v/s Manchester United football match. When I tried turning on his Toshiba Fire TV, I realized that the Toshiba Fire TV remote wouldn’t work. Thankfully, there was still some time for the match, and I could successfully fix the remote before time.
If we list the most reputable television brands of the present times, we can not proceed without talking about Toshiba. Most users share pleasant experiences about investing in the brand. When my friend bought a Toshiba Fire TV, I found it quite a good purchase. The TV offers Amazon Alexa’s speech assistant and all of Fire TV’s streaming video features at an incredibly affordable range.
Despite the great performance, it is usual for the users to face issues with the device occasionally. The most common issue faced by the Toshiba Fire TV users is definitely the Toshiba Fire TV remote not working.
In this article, we will highlight some possible reasons and solutions if your Toshiba fire TV remote stopped working.
Reasons For Toshiba Fire TV Remote Not Working
There may be several reasons why your Toshiba Fire TV remote is not working properly. I am listing below some of the reasons that will help you diagnose the precise issue with your Smart TV remote.
9 Ways To Fix Toshiba Fire TV Remote
Despite being a sought-after brand, it is common for Toshiba TVs to exhibit certain issues occasionally. I addressed one of these issues in my past article about Toshiba TV not turning on. This article will talk about another common issue faced specifically by Toshiba Fire TV users, i.e., the Toshiba Fire TV remote not working.
While the issue may arise due to many reasons, in most cases, it can be fixed easily by the user unless there is physical damage to your remote.
Read the fixes given below to carry out Toshiba Fire TV troubleshooting.
1. Replace Dead Batteries Of Your Toshiba Fire TV Remote
It may sound obvious, but dead batteries are the most common reason if your Toshiba Fire TV remote stopped working. The easiest way to test your remote batteries is by trying them on another device. In case the batteries are dead, replace them with new ones.
Here are the steps to do so.
- Step 1: Locate the directional arrow on the battery compartment at the back of your remote.
- Step 2: Open the battery compartment by pushing the compartment cover in the direction of the arrow.
- Step 3: Carefully remove both batteries.
- Step 4: Replace the batteries with a new set of AA batteries.
- Step 5: Close the battery compartment.
2. Ensure That Your Toshiba Fire TV IR Sensor Is Working
Your TV and remote both transmit and receive signals using an infrared beam. If this beam is not functioning properly, it may directly result in your Toshiba TV remote not working. Using the camera on your smartphone, you can quickly determine whether the IR on your remote is functioning.
- Step 1: Go to the camera app on your phone and view your remote through the screen.
- Step 2: Press any button on your Toshiba Fire TV remote.
- Step 3: A red light should flicker across the camera’s screen with each button click of the TV remote. If you do not see a red light, there is a possibility that the IR sensor of your Fire TV remote is not working.
3. Keep Your TV Remote In Range With No Obstruction
The majority of TV remote controls only function within a 10 meters (30 feet) range, after which they stop working. Make sure you are staying inside this range when using the Toshiba Fire TV remote. If your TV is not being controlled by a “point anywhere and use” remote, you must point the remote towards the TV sensor.
Additionally, your TV remote is unlikely to communicate with the TV if there is any object in the way of it and the Toshiba Fire TV. Hence, ensure that nothing is covering the IR sensor of your Smart TV while you are using the remote.
4. Power Cycle Your Toshiba Fire TV Remote
If you tried all the above troubleshooting steps but are still facing the issue, then power cycling the remote will surely help you. Power cycling a device soft-resets it and wipes the memory clean. The steps to do the same are simple and as follows.
- Step 1: Open the battery compartment of your Toshiba Fire TV remote.
- Step 2: Remove the batteries.
- Step 3: Hold the Power button on your remote for about 20 seconds. This step will drain the remaining power from your remote capacitor.
- Step 4: Reinsert the batteries properly.
- Step 5: Pair your remote with the Toshiba Fire TV, if required.
Once you are done with power cycling, test your remote to see if it is working.
5. Power Cycle Your Toshiba Fire TV
Sometimes when your Toshiba Fire TV remote doesn’t work, the culprit is actually not the remote but the TV. If your TV is temporarily not responding to the remote, you can easily fix the issue by power cycling the TV using the below steps.
- Step 1: Go to the Settings icon on your Toshiba Fire TV
- Step 2: Select Device & Software.
- Step 3: Click on Restart.
This will turn off your Toshiba Fire TV and then turn it back on. Alternatively, you can also restart your device using the power button.
- Step 1: Press the power button on your Toshiba Fire TV to turn off the TV.
- Step 2: Unplug the power cord of the TV.
- Step 3: Wait for 45-60 seconds.
- Step 4: Replug the power cord.
- Step 3: Turn on the TV again using the power button.
6. Ensure No Button Is Stuck On Your Toshiba Fire TV Remote
Another reason why your Toshiba Fire TV may not be working is because one or more buttons on your remote are stuck. It is common for the buttons of gadgets to get stuck due to dust or dirt. You may be able to troubleshoot this issue with your Smart TV remote by using the following tips.
- Test The Buttons Of Your Toshiba Fire TV Remote
The first thing that you must consider doing is testing all the buttons of your Toshiba Fire TV remote individually. Press each button at a time to see if it clicks and functions well.
- Rapidly Press And Release The Buttons On Your Toshiba Fire TV TV Remote
Quickly press and release each button on your Toshiba Fire TV TV remote. This process will dislodge anything, causing your remote buttons to get stuck. Repeat the process a couple of times.
- Clean Your Toshiba Fire TV Remote
Use a Q-tip or similar object dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the remote of your Toshiba Fire TV carefully. Clean the gaps surrounding the buttons as this is where most dust or dirt gets accumulated.
7. Pair Toshiba Fire TV Remote Again
In case you have the new improved Toshiba Fire TV remote, you can find a pairing button on the back of the TV remote under the battery cover. To connect your remote to the TV, simply remove the batteries, press and hold the pairing button for 15 seconds, and reinsert the batteries.
If your remote doesn’t have a pairing button at the back, press and hold the home button while aiming it directly at the TV for 30 seconds. You should notice the remote beginning to blink after 30 seconds.
Wait for another 30 seconds after the remote starts blinking before attempting to operate it. This should restore the remote’s Bluetooth connection to your TV. If it doesn’t work, try pointing the remote at the TV while simultaneously pushing and holding the back, left, and menu buttons for 30 seconds to pair your remote to the Toshiba Fire TV.
8. Factory Reset Toshiba Fire TV Remote
The factory setting is another troubleshooting method you can carry out to fix this error. The importance of factory reset is that it will erase all stored settings in your remote and restore it to default.
To successfully reset your Toshiba Fire TV remote, press and hold the left button on D-Pad, left back, and menu buttons on your remote for around 10 seconds while pointing it directly at the TV. The D-Pad is the directional pad on your remote with 4 arrow buttons to help you navigate through the TV.
9. Look Out For Physical Damage In Your Toshiba Fire TV Remote
It may be disheartening if you cannot troubleshoot your Toshiba Fire TV because, in this case, it is possible that your remote has some internal damage. In this case, repairing or replacing your remote is the only option you are left with.
If the damage to your Toshiba Fire TV remote is minor, a professional technician may be able to repair it. However, in case of circuit damage, replacing the remote of your Toshiba Fire TV TV may be the only option left for you. You may connect with Toshiba Customer Support for the same.
How To Operate Your Toshiba Fire TV Without A Remote?
You may not know already, but you can operate yot Toshiba Fire Tv without a remote using the Amazon Fire TV remote app. You can use the remote included with this app with your Toshiba Fire TV. Hence, by opening the Amazon Fire TV app on your smartphone, you can continue using your TV even if your remote ever stops working.
Furthermore, the app remote significantly outperforms the conventional Toshiba Fire TV remote. The app makes it simple to type and navigate, while the Toshiba Fire TV remote is small and lacks a keyboard. Simply download the app from the Google Playstore or the App Store and complete the setup process.
Regardless of whether your Toshiba Fire TV remote is operational or not, there is no harm in downloading the Amazon Fire TV for free. If you’re anything like me, you’ll soon find yourself utilizing the app rather than the remote.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. My Toshiba Fire TV remote buttons are not responding, but the power button works. How can I fix the issue?
Answer – In case your Toshiba Fire TV remote buttons are not responding, try resetting your remote by pressing and holding the left button on D-Pad, left back, and menu buttons on your remote for around 10 seconds while pointing it directly at the TV. Resetting the remote should most likely solve the issue for you.
Q2. My Toshiba Fire TV remote is not working after the factory reset. How can I troubleshoot the problem?
Answer – After resetting the Toshiba Fire Tv remote, you will have to pair the remote again with the TV by holding the pairing button for 15-20 seconds. The button is located inside the battery compartment. If your Toshiba TV remote does not work even after pairing, contact Toshiba Customer Support for assistance.
Q3. How to fix the issue of the Toshiba Fire TV remote home button not working?
Answer – If you are facing the issue of the Toshiba Fire TV remote home button, there is a possibility that the button is stuck. Try releasing the button by pressing the button a couple of times. If this doesn’t help, restart your remote by holding down the Select + Play buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds.
Q4. Are Toshiba Fire TV remotes covered under any warranty?
Answer – Toshiba Fire TV offers a twelve-month warranty on their TVs and accessories if purchased from an authorized Toshiba Fire TV store, Toshiba Fire TV website, or Amazon. Toshiba Fire TV has an excellent reputation for its smooth repair and replacement process. Visit Toshiba Customer Support for more details.
Having your gadget act weird once in a while is normal. If you know how to troubleshoot fundamental problems with your gadgets, you can save a lot of time, energy, and money that you would end up spending on professional help otherwise.
If you are looking for how to fix the Toshiba Fire TV remote, the article must have helped you troubleshoot your device. If you found this article useful or were able to fix your Toshiba Fire TV TV remote using any of the above methods, comment below.
As an engineering graduate (and a full-time layabout), I am always looking for smart technological innovations to make my life simpler and more automated so that I can be even lazier than usual.