- You can reset and reprogram the Craftsman garage door opener by pressing the learn button on the garage door opener device.
- To change the user code on your Craftsman garage door, press the # button on the garage door opener keypad.
The technology behind garage door openers is incredible. The days of yelling at somebody to open the garage doors for you and manually opening and closing them are long gone.
A garage door opener can save you from the annoyance of getting out of your car to open the garage door. The best part is that some modern garage door openers now offer a feature that allows users to open and shut their garage door remotely using their automobile or smartphone.
This makes it important for renters to look for a house with an automatic garage door opener. But when you purchase or occupy a new residence, it is a good idea to reset your garage door opener. Resetting your garage door opener can shield you against unlawful entrance into your garage and home, much like changing your locks would do for your house.
I have written articles about programming and resetting the Chamberlain garage door opener and Wayne Dalton garage door opener in the past. Today, we will learn about reprogramming a Craftsman garage door opener.
Resetting your Craftsman garage door opener is a simple task that you can accomplish easily. This article will take you through the stepwise instructions for the same.
How To Reset Craftsman Garage Door Opener?
The Craftsman garage door opener prevents access from unauthorized people to your property. To activate the key and get entrance to the property, family members and guests must enter a four-digit number.
It is possible that you may need to reset the garage door opener in order to program it again. The same could happen in case of moving houses or forgetting the old code. The following steps will help you accomplish the same.
- Step 1: Enter your garage and use a ladder to reach your garage door opener device mounted on the ceiling.
- Step 2: Locate the Learn button on your garage door opener. Different models can have this button located at different places, but usually, the button is near the antenna radio receiver.
- Step 3: On your Craftsman garage door opener device, press the Learn button. An illuminated LED light shows that the garage opener gadget is configurable.
- Step 4: Now, take your remote and press and hold the Up button. Hold the button you just pressed as you proceed to the following stage.
- Step 5: Return to the installed garage door opener and locate the SRT button on the back of the garage door opener.
- Step 6: Press and hold the button.
- Step 7: When the light on the garage door opener starts to flash, press and hold both buttons for a few seconds. It can take a few seconds to a minute to complete.
- Step 8: Release both buttons as soon as the light on the garage door opener begins to flash.
Once the process is done, your garage door opener remote will be reset. Repeat the steps with all the remotes that are programmed with your garage door opener.
How To Reprogram A Craftsman Garage Door Opener?
Once your garage door opener remote is reset, you can program it afresh with your garage door opener by following the given steps.
- Step 1: Press and release the Learn button. A LED light turned on indicates that the garage opener device is programmable.
- Step 2: Within 30 seconds, take your remote and press and hold the button you want to use as a primary control to open or close your garage door opener. Hold the button for about 5-10 seconds.
- Step 3: Wait for the click sound on your machine and for the LED light adjacent to the Learn button to flash.
- Step 4: Release the button on your remote, as your remote is now paired with a garage door opener device.
How To Reset Craftsman Garage Door Keypad?
It is also important to know how to reset the code on your Craftsman garage door keypad, as in case of forgotten code, this process will save you from all the agony and horror.
The following steps will help you learn the same.
- Step 1: Climb the ladder to access your Craftsman garage door opener motor housing.
- Step 2: Press and hold the Learn button until the indicator light illuminates and then turns off. This will delete all codes that have been saved.
- Step 3: Now enter the programming mode of your Craftsman garage door opener by pressing and releasing the Learn button on the garage door opener device. The indicator light will illuminate for 30 seconds, indicating that your device is now programmable.
- Step 4: Climb down the ladder and walk to the keypad on the garage door.
- Step 5: Create a new 4-digit code on the keypad, followed by the Enter button. You will notice that the safety light on the motor housing will blink once, and the indicator will flash once, indicating that the new code is now unable.
- Step 6: Test the code by opening and closing your garage door.
How To Change Code On Craftsman Garage Door Opener?
If you think someone might have figured out your Craftsman garage door keypad code, you might wish to change it, as the task does not take more than a few minutes. In fact, to keep your home and possessions secure, it’s a good idea to change your garage access code frequently.
You don’t have to reset the garage door if you remember the old code, as you can simply change the code. To update the Craftsman garage door opener code, follow the instructions below.
- Step 1: Enter your 4-digit PIN code on the keypad outside your garage.
- Step 2: Now hold down the # button until the opener light blinks twice.
- Step 3: Release the # key when the light starts to blink, and then enter the new four-digit code.
- Step 4: Now press Enter. You will notice that the opener light will flash once, indicating that the updated code is now usable.
Precautions While Reprogramming Craftsman Garage Door Opener
- The garage door may operate while programming; hence, ensure to keep your loved ones and belongings away from the moving door to avoid door damage or physical injury.
- Keep remote controllers out of reach of children to avoid a youngster getting stuck between the doors.
- Avoid standing in an open doorway of your garage or walking through it while the door is moving to avoid serious injury.
Q1. What do the three buttons on the Craftsman garage door opener do?
Answer – The three primary keys are responsible for the operation of a garage door as they open the garage door, close the garage door, and turn on the garage lights. However, unless your opener is programmed with the Craftsman garage door, the buttons shall not function.
Q2. Where can I find the SRT button on my Craftsman garage door opener?
Answer – The SRT button is located on the rear of the Craftsman garage door opener device mounted on the garage ceiling.
Q3. Why is my Craftsman garage door beeping every 30 seconds?
Answer – Your Craftsman garage door opener’s backup battery likely needs to be replaced if it beeps every 30 seconds. Backup batteries open and close your garage door when the power goes out and have a lifespan of 2-3 years under normal conditions.
Q4. Are garage door openers energy efficient?
Answer – Although garage door openers can help you automate a lot of things related to your home, they do not need very high power to operate, which makes them an energy-efficient and cost-efficient investment.
An automated garage door opener can make your life easier and more comfortable. Remotely opening and closing your garage door can save you the bother of getting out of your automobile to operate the garage door. After all, nobody likes to deal with the trouble of getting soaked in the rain or sliding through the snow to open the garage door.
If you were looking for literature about how to reprogram a Craftsman garage door opener, I am sure you found this post helpful. If you have any further questions about the subject, please leave them in the comments section.
As an engineering graduate (and a full-time layabout), I am always looking for smart technological innovations to make my life simpler and more automated so that I can be even lazier than usual.