Kwikset smart locks are fantastic for a variety of reasons. They are an excellent choice for improving the security of your home or adding convenience to your home security system. I installed a Kwikset lock in my parents’ house about two years ago, and my parents and I have been pretty happy with it.
But how do homeowners gain access to their homes when their Kwikset door lock’s battery dies? That was my father’s question to me last week when I told them that their Kwikset lock indicates low batteries. So answering my dad’s question, I replied that one might unlock the lock using the keys, and if the keys aren’t accessible, one must be prepared for a bigger ordeal. My father immediately asked me to replace the batteries of his lock.
The majority of Kwikset smart locks require four AA batteries to operate. A Kwikset lock’s battery set typically lasts around 10-12 months, provided the lock is opened around 10 times a day. However, the duration varies depending on a number of factors. If your Kwikset lock batteries are dead, you can easily replace them by removing the battery cover from the lock and using a screwdriver.
You can totally avoid the misery of getting locked out of your home by learning to change the battery on the Kwikset lock. In this article, we will go over the step-by-step procedure for replacing a Kwikset battery.
How To Change Batteries On Kwikset Lock?
Almost everyone is concerned about their home’s security. No matter whether you are out for regular grocery shopping or Scuba diving on an Indonesian island, you can never leave without assuring that your house is locked.
When it comes to locks, Kwikset is a well-known brand in the industry due to its smooth operation and durability. However, the batteries in these locks must be changed once or twice a year.
Fortunately, Kwikset Lock battery replacement should take no more than a few minutes, and all you need is a screwdriver and a set of new batteries.
Follow the steps given below to complete the Kwikset battery replacement procedure.
- Step 1: Take off the terminal cover by sliding it up on the inside of your Kwikset door lock. Following this, you will notice the battery cartridge. If the cover does not slide up smoothly, there may be screws holding it in place that must be removed using an appropriately sized screwdriver.
- Step 2: Remove the battery cartridge located on the top of your lock, then lift it up.
- Step 3: Gently pull one end of the battery up until the battery is loose and can be pulled free from the slot with your fingertip. Repeat this with all the batteries. The battery compartment includes a diagram of the proper battery position, as well as a symbol indicating the placement of the negative and terminal of the batteries.
- Step 4: Place four new non-rechargeable AA batteries in the battery slots. In case you are installing batteries in Kwikset Smartcode 914, press and hold the PROGRAM button for 5 seconds and then press and hold the A button for 5 seconds to restart the lock.
- Step 4: Reinstall the battery cartridge in such a way that the ‘DOOR’ indicator faces up, with the arrows pointing to your door.
- Step 5: When you’re finished inserting the cartridge, reinstall the cover on your Kwikset door lock and tighten any screws that were removed.
- Step 6: Test the door lock and the working of the new batteries by locking and unlocking the lock a couple of times.
The steps outlined above should assist you in changing the batteries in your Kwikset lock and restoring its functionality. If your Kwikset lock is not working, please read one of the previous articles I wrote.
The Best Batteries For Kwikset Lock
If you are a Kwikset lock user, AA alkaline, non-rechargeable batteries are recommended for use in your door lock for the lock to operate and perform regular functions. The batteries are installed on the interior side of the lock.
Kwikset door lock users should stick to alkaline batteries and not insert other kinds of batteries in their locks for the following reasons.
- Alkaline batteries have a longer shelf life as compared to other kinds of batteries. These batteries last longer in any device. Also, alkaline batteries can be stored unused for a longer period as they lose only 5% energy per year if unused.
- While most Lithium batteries do not function properly in the cold, Alkaline batteries continue to function normally even at a low temperature. This feature makes Alkaline batteries suitable for your devices even during the winter.
- Alkaline batteries are far less susceptible to leakage than other kinds of batteries. Leakage of batteries can corrode the circuit of a device; hence, choosing batteries that leak less often is wise.
- Alkaline batteries are less hazardous to the environment when disposed of as compared to the other kinds of batteries, as these batteries contain fewer toxins in their composition.
How Long Do Batteries In Kwikset Locks Last?
Batteries are an essential part of any device. It is critical to replace your batteries at regular intervals to keep your devices running properly. The lifespan of batteries in a Kwikset door lock is determined by several factors, including how frequently the door lock is used, the type and brand of batteries used, and the climate.
The more you use your door lock, the faster the batteries will run out. If you live in a cold climate, your door lock batteries will last less time because cold weather drains batteries faster than hot weather.
The typical battery life in a Kwikset lock is about 10-12 months based on 10 entries per day if the door is properly aligned. The estimated duration assumes that the lock does not encounter interference when locking or unlocking the door.
Q1. Will the Kevo Smart Lock function in the event of a power outage?
Answer – Yes, since Kevo Smart Lock is entirely battery operated, a power outage will have no effect on it, and the lock will usually function.
Q2. Why is my Kwikset lock beeping?
Answer – A Kwikset lock beeps to indicate more than one thing. A single long beep implies the turn piece of the lock has rotated to the designated spot. A repetition of 10 short beeps and 10 short red flashes indicates low battery. If you hear 15 long beeps and 15 long red flashes, it means you entered three incorrect user codes.
Q3. Can I still open my Kwikset smart lock if the lock batteries are dead?
Answer – If the batteries in your Kwikset lock have died, you may still be able to open the lock using the traditional keys that came with the lock kit. Hence, I recommend keeping a key in your bag or vehicle.
Q4. What is the procedure for Kwikset Halo battery replacement?
Answer – The steps to change the Kwikset Halo lock batteries are the same as replacing batteries in other Kwikset locks. Follow the instructions given in the article to install the new batteries in your lock.
Home security is something that almost all of us are concerned about when we are away, whether we are two miles or two thousand miles away. We live in a time when our homes are under more threat than ever before, but fortunately, we also live in a time when innovative home security solutions are available. We now have access to not only high-security locks but also to convenient home security systems in the form of smart locks.
Thanks to Kwikset for being such a user-friendly brand, a user can perform Kwikset battery replacement in a matter of minutes on their own. If you’re wondering how to change Kwikset lock batteries, this article should have helped you find detailed instructions.
If you have any further questions about Kwikset locks, please leave them in the comments section
I have been a security guy throughout my life. For the last 30 years, I have been making homes safer and hence, putting people at ease. Even on the other side of age, I get fascinated by how technology and simple hacks can make a whole lot of difference to the overall security of the house.