- If you find your Vizio AirPlay not working, you can start by checking if your Vizio TV and Apple device are compatible with each other. Apple devices iOS 12.4 or above can connect to Vizio TV made after 2017 as they all have SmartCast capability.
- If your TV is compatible with AirPlay services, check to make sure your TV and your Apple device are up to date and have the latest firmware installed. Then recheck your AirPlay settings on your Vizio TV set.
- If you see AirPlay not working on Vizio check if your Apple device and Vizio TV are connected to the same internet connection. Also check the network settings to make sure the internet speed and connectivity are stable.
- As a last option try restarting your Vizio TV and rebooting your Apple device. This can possibly clear any internal software errors that are stopping AirPlay from connecting.
Are you facing trouble casting videos from your AirPlay to your Vizio TV? I can understand how frustrating it can be. But I have found that there are several reasons why your AirPlay might not be working on Vizio. While casting on my own Vizio TV I have noticed there are times AirPlay doesn’t connect.
Luckily I have come up with a checklist of things you can do to fix the problem yourself; like I have done for other TV sets like LG and Samsung or even Roku. So keep reading so you can learn what you can do to fix your problem with AirPlay not connecting to Vizio TV.
Check If Your TV is Compatible with AirPlay
The first thing you need to check is if your Vizio TV is even compatible with AirPlay. This is the one factor most people overlook when even they try connecting the two. When AirPlay was first launched it was initially meant to be used only with Apple TVs. It wasn’t until much later that it was able to work with SmartCast, a casting feature that is integrated in all smart TVs. So if you have a Vizio set that is a model made before 2017 it probably won’t be compatible.
First check either your TV’s user manual or the back of the TV set to find the model number. Then compare it to the list below to see if your Vizio TV is compatible.
- OLED (2020)
- D Series (2018, 2019)
- E Series UHD models (2016, 2017, 2018)
- M Series (2016, 2017, 2018)
- M Series Quantum (2019, 2020)
- P Series (2016, 2017, 2018)
- P Series Quantum (2018, 2019, 2020))
- P Series Quantum X (2019, 2020)
- V Series (2019, 2020)
If you have any other model or an older one well I’m sorry to say you are out of luck. There isn’t any way to change your TV’s hardware, so think about upgrading and buying a new TV.
Check If Your TV and Devices Are Up-To-Date
One of the features of smart devices, be it a TV, phone or tablet is that they need software updates to fix bugs and improve functionality. This is a blessing and a curse. On one hand these updates allow manufacturers to continuously work on their software and make changes globally in one go. On the other hand if you say turn off automatic updates or your internet is not working your device will be left behind and that can cause problems down the line.
How to Update Your Vizio TV
Airplay not working on a compatible TV set is usually because of an uninstalled TV update. Follow the steps below to check for and then install any updates that were left behind.
- Press the Home button on your TV remote
- Select System from the menu
- Choose Check For Updates. Your TV will automatically check to see if there are any. If there is one it will be listed on the screen.
- To install select, Install Now and follow the on screen instructions.
Your TV will automatically download and install the update. Then it will reboot. After this is completed you need to enable the AirPlay feature on your TV via the System settings. There are a few times when my tv doesn’t show up on Airplay, usually it is the root cause. In case you need help in setting up Airplay on Vizio tv, I did an article for that as well.
How to Update Your Apple Devices
Apple devices running older hardware or outdated software versions also cause trouble when you are trying to stream content through Airplay. So if your device is running any iOS before 12.4 and there are no updates for it, well that’s that. Try to use one of your new Apple devices instead. Otherwise your device could be behind on updates. Another thing, if you notice AirPlay stopped working on Vizio TV even though it was working before it could be a similar issue. So follow the steps below to update your Apple device.
- Plug your device’s charger into your device
- Connect your Apple device to a Wi-Fi network
- Go to Settings and then tap on General
- Choose Software Update from the options. Your device will check for any pending updates. If there is one available it will be listed.
- Tap the Install Now option to download and install the update.
This can take a bit of time depending on your internet speed so keep your device plugged in. When the update is done installing your device will reboot. When it is ready you can try connecting via AirPlay again.
Check AirPlay Settings on Vizio TV
AirPlay not working on your TV set could be because it isn’t set up fine. Normally, when TVs come out of the box they do not have AirPlay enabled. You have to do that yourself because manufacturers know that not everyone has an Apple device. It is also possible that when your TV installs an update or is rebooted multiple times certain settings like AirPlay can get disabled.
So if you know your TV is compatible and it is running the latest software then re-check the AirPlay settings following the steps below.
- Press the Home button on your TV remote
- Use the arrow keys to navigate to Extras in the top menu bar
- Navigate to Apple AirPlay which will open AirPlay settings on the screen.
- Toggle the first open to ON if it is OFF and press OK
Once you turn on the AirPlay feature on your TV, you can try to cast your videos using Apple AirPlay again.
Check the Wi-Fi Network
One of the most common reasons for connection problems with AirPlay is that the Apple device and the Vizio TV are not connected to the same Wi-Fi network. We are so used to our devices being connected to the internet all the time that we often forget to check which network we are actually connected to. Sometimes when there are connectivity issues with our home network our smartphones can switch to their data connections that are offered via our mobile network.
Now you might ask a question – Why is it so important for both the devices to be connected to the same network?
Well think of it like a road, if you are standing on the same road as another person, it is possible to trade information. In the same way if your TV and Apple device are on the same network they can easily transfer data continuously between themselves, which is crucial for casting and mirroring.
So if you notice your Vizio AirPlay is not showing up on your Apple device’s list check which network your Apple device is connected to. If there are other networks in your home that your device can connect to automatically turn that setting off when using AirPlay.
Check Internet Speed
Slow internet speed can cause serious problems for anyone trying to use AirPlay to their Vizio TV. If there isn’t enough speed, data doesn’t transfer fast enough and this can lead to serious lagging and buffering issues. If you notice Screen mirroring iPhone to Vizio TV not working even though your TV is listed in the AirPlay devices it could be because your internet just isn’t fast enough to handle the mirroring data demands.
Vizio AirPlay not working issues can be resolved in a couple of ways. First do a simple check to see how many devices are connecting to your internet. Too many devices all streaming at one can reduce the bandwidth you have available for your own AirPlay streaming.
Second, do a quick speed test to see if you are actually getting the internet speeds you are playing for. And finally contact your internet service provider if there are any discrepancies or to upgrade your speed.
Even with high-speed internet if your network connection is not stable you will have problems casting and screen mirroring on your Vizio TV. A stable connection means that your internet does not quit out on you again and again. This disturbs the AirPlay connection and can cause errors. This can be an issue with older Wi-Fi devices in the house.
There are a few things you can do to improve your internet connectivity, these are listed below.
- Make sure your Wi-Fi device is set up close to your Vizio TV.
- If your device is on a table, make sure the antennas are vertical. If it is hanging on the wall make sure the antennas are still vertical, they should not be perpendicular to the wall.
- Check the antennas and device for any signs of damage, especially if they are in a high traffic area.
- Check that the main internet cable is connected securely to the device
- Check the internet cable for any dents, bends, or breaks which can affect connectivity
If there are any issues with your device or internet cable, contact your internet service provider as soon as possible. Have them check your entire network and if your device is older have them upgrade it to the latest model.
Try Restarting Your Vizio TV
When all else fails try restarting your Vizio TV device. If your TV is compatible with AirPlay and your devices are all connected to the same stable Wi-Fi network there could be some internal issue that is stopping your Apple device from connecting. I know this isn’t a very good explanation but that is the nature of these electronics. All it can take is something as small as a change in electricity to mess things up. That’s why every good technician will ask you, “Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
A good old fashion system restart can do just the trick. Just follow the steps given below:
- Using your remote control, turn your Vizio TV off. Don’t just pull the plug. That can do more harm than good.
- Unplug the main power cable from its socket. This is important, but cutting the power completely the internal memory inside your Vizio TV will be erased properly.
- Wait for a 5 – 10 minutes
- Plug the main power cable back into the socket
- Turn On your TV
Once turned on, check to see if AirPlay is enabled via Home > Extras > Apple AirPlay. Then open your Apple devices settings to see if it solves Vizio AirPlay not showing up.
Try Restarting Your Apple Device
While restarting your Vizio TV also restart your Apple devices. It has happened to me many times that my iPhone or iPad starts to lag because of all the apps I am using at once. Even after closing all those extra apps they are running in the background sucking up all the processing power.
A simple restart can help solve that. As a matter of fact, you should make it a habit to restart your Apple device every few days. It can really improve performance. Depending on the device you have, you can follow the instructions given below.
For iPhone X, iPhone 11, and iPhone 12:
- Press and hold your device’s volume button and the side button
- Drag the slider to the other side to turn off your iPhone
- Press and hold the right-side button to turn on your device
For iPhone SE 2nd Gen, iPhone 6, iPhone 7, and iPhone 8:
- Press and hold your device’s side button
- Drag the slider to the other side to turn off your phone
- Press and hold the right-side button to turn on your phone
For iPhone SE 1st Gen, iPhone 5, and Previous Models:
- Press and hold your device’s top button
- Drag the slider to the other side to turn off your device
- Press and hold the top button to turn on your iPhone
After restarting your Apple device, try connecting through AirPlay again to cast content or mirror your screen. Hopefully, restarting your device has fixed the problems with Vizio AirPlay not showing up.
Q1. Why is my Apple AirPlay not working on my Vizio TV?
Answer – There are a few reasons why you can’t connect to your Vizio TV via Apple AirPlay. They might not be on the same Wi-Fi network or you may be having network problems, so check your internet settings. It’s also possible that your Apple device doesn’t support AirPlay 2 or your TV doesn’t have SmartCast software.
Q2. Does AirPlay work with Vizio TV?
Answer – Models of Vizio TV manufactured after 2017 are built with SmartCast hardware and software. This allows your smart TV to connect to both Android and Apple devices. Use your TV remote to go to the Vizio home screen and check if you can see Apple AirPlay in the menu options. If you can see it, it means your TV is AirPlay compatible.
Q3. Why is my iPhone not casting videos to my Vizio TV?
Answer – To cast videos to your Vizio TV you have to go through the app that normally plays the video. If you want to cast a YouTube video open the YouTube app and you will see the AirPlay logo in one of the corners. Tap that and select your Vizio TV from the list. One the video is streaming on your TV you can even close the app on your device and use it normally.
As an engineering graduate (and a full-time layabout), I am always looking for smart technological innovations to make my life simpler and more automated so that I can be even lazier than usual.