If your parents are hard-core Americans like mine who believe in buying Made in America products, then chances are that you need to figure out how to reset VIZIO TV sets.
Now, VIZIO is not a giant conglomerate like LG or Samsung. Yet, this home-grown TV brand based in California can hold its own against these multinationals in producing top-of-the-line, smart televisions.
The brand has come out with an impressive range of smart OLED TVs and even took the lead in the television market, skyrocketing ahead of its competition. However, lately, the brand seems to have fallen a little behind other international brands.
The VIZIO P Series Quantum 2021 still stands out among their latest models as it’s great for movie nights. At the same time, the TV set does have a few bugs due to its limited compatibility with other devices. However, overall, it’s not a bad TV to have.
Coming back to our main focus today, consumers often complain that their VIZIO TVs are working too slow or turn on and off on their own.
While you may have to consult the VIZIO customer service team for the more severe issues, you can solve most of your TV’s recurring problems with a simple reset.
In this article, I will show you how to reset VIZIO TV without remote and how to reset VIZIO TV without PIN alongside several other tricks.
However, before we proceed to the learning stage, let us first examine the different scenarios in which it is advisable to reset your VIZIO TV set.
Why Do You Need to Reset VIZIO TV?
While the techie in me prefers the Samsung Smart TV series and has explored several ways to reset a Samsung TV, the engineer in me does admire VIZIO TVs as high-quality products produced on American soil.
According to most users (including my parents), VIZIO televisions work perfectly for a few months, and then slowly and stealthily, a few minor issues start cropping up.
These include the following:
- The television works too slowly, i.e., follows instructions like switching channels or adjusting the volume levels, at an extremely slow pace.
- The TV either doesn’t follow instructions issued from the remote control or keeps freezing at regular intervals. Resetting your TV usually resolves this issue.
- Many consumers also complain that their VIZIO TV stops turning on after a few months, despite pressing the power button on the TV and the remote.
- In many cases, the TV’s smart functions and applications do not work correctly or keep crashing frequently.
- A reset is also in order if your VIZIO TV screen keeps freezing in the middle of a show or a movie.
- You may also have to learn how to factory reset VIZIO TV if you buy a second-hand TV from someone. Performing a reset lets you wipe out all old configurations and settings. This allows you to start afresh with a clean slate.
- Resetting your VIZIO Smart TV is also advisable if you face internet connectivity issues. You can learn more about using your smart TV without the internet here.
- You will also need to reset your VIZIO TV if you have forgotten your password or cannot access your home screen.
- A reset is also advisable if you face issues like loss of audio or visual output at recurrent intervals on your VIZIO TV. Or if your TV’s volume control or screen is compromised in any way, i.e., the volume is not audible, the screen is black or displays multiple colors, etc.
- If you plan to sell your VIZIO TV, I suggest performing a factory reset to remove all your data before selling.
So, that’s it! I think I have covered most of the common issues that drive people to post questions like these on online forums; “How do I reset my VIZIO TV?”
Moving on, we will now explore the different ways in which you can reset or reboot your VIZIO TV to solve minor functional issues.
Here’s How to Reset VIZIO TV with Minimal Effort
Learning how to reset VIZIO SmartCast TV is easier than you might think. All you have to do is follow the steps lined out in your instruction manual or follow the steps listed under the different strategies below.
1. How Do I Reset My VIZIO TV?
Let us start with the easiest and most basic way to reset your malfunctioning television.
a) First, we will see how to perform a simple power recycle or soft reset:
- Unplug your TV set and remove the power cord.
- Press the power button on your TV for at least 30 seconds; this allows your TV to discharge completely.
- Now, reattach the power cord and plug your TV set back in.
- Wait for 5 seconds and turn your TV back on by pressing the power button.
- Your TV’s soft reset is done; try watching your TV for a while to see if any of the old problems reoccur.
- In some cases, you can also perform a power cycle on your TV by selecting the correct settings from your remote.
- Press the Menu button, followed by System > Reset & Admin > Soft Power Cycle.
- Once you have selected the last option, your TV will switch off and turn back on its own. Following these steps will refresh your system and also sort out any minor issues or faults.
b) How to Factory Reset VIZIO TV With Remote-VIA TV
- Press the Menu button on your TV remote.
- Based on your TV model, you will either have to select Help and then Clear Memory.
- Select Help > Reset & Admin and then press OK to Clear Memory.
- Using the arrows buttons on your remote, go to Clear Memory/Factory Defaults/Reset TV to Factory Defaults and press OK.
- You will now be asked to feed the PIN. If you never reset it, it should be ‘0000’.
- After entering the PIN, press OK once more.
- Your TV will now be wiped clean, and all configurations will go back to their default factory settings.
- Your VIZIO TV will turn on and off automatically during this process, do not turn off or power off your TV at this stage.
- Once the TV is back on, the initial setup screen will appear. This is an opportunity for a brand new start with your VIZIO TV.
c) How to Factory Reset VIZIO TV With Remote-VIA Plus TV
- We start the same way, i.e., by pressing the Menu button on your remote.
- Go to System > Reset > Admin > Clear Memory.
- Select Clear Memory/Factory Defaults/Reset TV to Factory Defaults and press OK.
- Enter your PIN, i.e., ‘0000’, and press OK again.
- Let your TV restart and reset; this will be followed by the appearance of the initial setup screen on your TV.
- Configure your TV as you wish and get back to enjoying your favorite shows and movies without any interruptions.
2. How to Reset VIZIO TV without Remote
Let’s face it, no matter how hard you try not to break your smart TV remote; it somehow ends up either lost or damaged beyond repair.
Though having an intact remote makes it far easier to reset your VIZIO TV, don’t lose heart as there’s still a way to reset your TV.
a) How to Reset VIZIO TV without Remote
- To reset VIZIO TV without a remote, you will need to use the buttons present on your TV set itself.
- These are usually found at the back of your TV set or at the bottom right corner.
- These four buttons are; the Power button, the Volume Up button, the Volume Down button, and the Input/Sources button.
- Start by unplugging your TV for at least 30 seconds.
- Plug it back in and turn it on.
- Now, press down and hold onto the Volume Down and Input buttons at the same time.
- Keep pressing them till you see a message appear on-screen.
- The message will ask you to press the Input button for another 10 seconds to restore your factory settings.
- If done correctly, this will reboot your TV. Once your TV turns back on, it will appear with the initial setup screen.
- You can also follow the steps outlined under ‘How to Reset VIZIO TV without Remote’ to solve the problem of how to reset VIZIO TV without PIN.
b) How to Reset VIZIO TV with Remote Application
- This method is for those who are a bit more tech-savvy and have connected their VIZIO TVs to the remote app that allows them to use their smartphone as a remote control device.
- Go to the VIZIO remote app on your smartphone and select Menu.
- Next, tap on System > Reset & Admin.
- If required, enter your PIN or password.
- Press OK to confirm.
- This will restore your settings to their factory defaults. Just keep in mind that you will no longer be able to use your smartphone as a remote control device unless you reintegrate it again.
3. How to Reset VIZIO Smart TV Remote
Several factors can cause your VIZIO TV remote to stop working. These may include:
- Old, discharged batteries
- An issue with TV’s sensors
- Power residue or mercury leakage
- Issues with the remote’s memory, i.e., it’s jammed or stuck
- Technical issues/problems with the TV itself
Now, the first order of business is to try changing your remote’s batteries. Remove the old batteries and replace them with brand new ones. See if your remote is working now.
If it’s not, then it’s time to power cycle your TV remote:
- You first need to remove the batteries from the remote.
- Then press the Power button on your remote control device and release it after 5 seconds.
- Doing so will drain any remaining power from your remote.
- Now, press all the buttons on your remote, check for any buttons that are stuck, and release them.
- Place the batteries back in the remote and see if your remote is functioning properly now.
- You can reset your universal remote’s memory.
- Press the Setup button on your remote till the LED light flashes twice on your universal remote control.
- Now, type in your remote’s reset code. The reset code for most of the universal VIZIO remote controls is either ‘981’ or ‘977’. I have also done a comprehensive article on VIZIO universal remote codes.
- Once again, you need to wait for the LED light to blink twice.
- This means that your remote’s memory has been wiped clean.
- Check and see if your remote is working fine now. If it’s not, it may be time to spring for a new one.
4. How to Reset VIZIO TV Without PIN
If you are searching for how to reset VIZIO SmartCast TV without PIN, it means that you have forgotten your TV’s PIN.
Now, it can be quite a complicated task to reset your TV without the PIN. Thankfully, there is a way you can reset your PIN and use it to reset your television as well.
- Press Menu on your VIZIO TV remote.
- Go to Setup and select Parental Controls.
- Tap in your access code and press Enter.
- Next, scroll through Parental Control options and go to Access Code Edit.
Press Enter and tap in your new PIN. Your PIN has now been reset and can be used to reboot your VIZIO TV.
5. How to Reset VIZIO TV When the Screen is Black
Many users also search for ‘how do I reset my VIZIO TV when the screen is black’ or ‘how do I reset my VIZIO TV without picture.’
The first thing to do if your VIZIO TV is black is to check whether the power is on.
Make sure that your TV is plugged in and that all the power cords are properly attached to the back of your television set.
You next need to check your TV’s input sources and see if it’s still connected to any 3rd party devices like a DVD or Blu-Ray player or even a gaming console.
Your screen may also appear blank if it’s connected to an audio streaming service. Once you have fixed your input settings, press the Menu button.
If you can see the Menu screen, there’s nothing wrong with your display or hardware. If you can’t see it, it’s best to reach out to VIZIO customer support and request a site visit.
So that’s all for now on how to reset VIZIO SmartCast TV or any other of their smart television sets.
In this article, I have tried to answer the most frequently asked questions asked by VIZIO TV consumers, whether it be ‘how do I reset my VIZIO TV when the screen is black’ or ‘how do I reset my VIZIO TV without picture.’
Try out the steps for yourself, and let me know how they work out for you in the comments below. If you have any additional answers or tricks in response to ‘how do I reset my VIZIO TV,’ feel free to share them in the comments section below.
As an engineering graduate (and a full-time layabout), I am always looking for smart technological innovations to make my life simpler and more automated so that I can be even lazier than usual.