Today, no home can claim to be a smart home without a smart TV or even smart lights.
As a self-appointed tech-pundit, I have installed the latest smart TV in my den and have plenty of fun exploring its advanced features and connecting it to my PSP and other devices.
However, it’s just not me who is going gaga over smart TVs and their latest models.
According to a news report in the National Interest, at least 80% of American households have a smart TV or an internet-connected TV device in their home.
Now, it’s a fact that smart TVs cost way more than regular or ‘dumb’ TVs.
As per the latest figures, a smart TV costs nearly $100 more than your regular TV set. However, most new models launched these days are smart TVs with cutting-edge features and innovation.
Even though most people are buying smart TVs, a common question raised by many is: Will a smart TV work without internet connection?
Will a Smart TV Work Without Wi-Fi or Internet?
The answer to the above question is YES; you can still use a smart TV without an internet connection; it will just function as a regular TV.
Though I feel it’s rather silly to buy an expensive television set with cutting-edge technology and use it just as a regular device. There’s just so much you can do with a high-speed internet connection and a smart TV.
While a smart TV is quite expensive, it’s a one-time investment. However, getting an internet connection is more of a long-term commitment as one needs to pay the bill every month. I can see why many are worried about the added expense.
The average internet bill in the U.S. is around $64 and can even go up to $100 per month or more. This does seem a bit steep, doesn’t it? Apart from the cost, poor internet connectivity in many areas can prevent many from fully exploring the potential of their smart television. Now, that’s a real shame!
Before we explore whether a smart TV will work without internet, let us briefly look at what a smart TV can do.
What is a Smart TV?
The way we enjoy television has changed drastically over the last few years. Most people prefer to binge-watch their favorite series and movies on online streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
The increasing popularity of these streaming services has also led many people to switch from television screens to their laptops or smartphones and tablets.
A smart TV offers viewers advanced streaming and scrolling features just like these high-tech devices for an enhanced entertainment experience.
- A traditional TV displays sound and video through a third-party connection, i.e., cable, satellite, or antenna.
- A smart TV, on the other hand, has in-built internet connectivity that offers users several streaming/watching options.
- Apart from internet connectivity, these smart televisions also have powerful processors and user-friendly apps that perform a host of functions.
- You simply need to click a few buttons to connect to the internet, access the menu, and then you can watch whatever you want.
- Did you know that you can also use your smart TV to scroll through social media and even link to your smart home devices?
- A smart TV also has multiple HDMI ports, while a regular television set has just one or maximum two ports. It’s ideal for connecting to multimedia players, cable connections, gaming consoles, and more.
Intrigued, are we? Continue reading to find out more!
How to Use Your Smart TV with the Internet?
Before we explore how will a smart TV work without internet connection, let us see what all can a smart TV do when connected to Wi-Fi or the internet:
- Once your smart TV is connected to the internet or Wi-Fi, you can download and access streaming sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney Plus, or HBO Max directly.
- Today’s smart televisions are also highly compatible with several devices and can connect with voice-recognition software tools like Alexa or Google Assistant to switch channels.
- They can even be connected to Google Home devices to manage your smart home devices. Many advanced tv sets also come with dashboards that monitor your home’s smart security features, lights, appliances, etc.
- You can also connect these sets to Bluetooth speakers, home theatre systems, and even your PlayStation to host epic entertainment/gaming nights at your place. I do this almost every other week at my place.
- Smart TVs also get regular firmware updates to add new streaming features for your enjoyment.
Now that we have seen all that smart TVs can do, let’s revisit our initial question: will smart tv work without internet?
How to Use Your Smart TV Without the Internet?
As mentioned above, your smart TV will still work without any internet or Wi-Fi, but its features will be severely limited. In other words, it will function as a regular television set.
So, let’s see what can your smart TV do without the internet:
- Any smart TV will still function as a regular display television. You can connect it to a cable connection, DTH, or set-top box and surf your favorite channels.
- You can also use several external devices like USBs to watch media on smart TVs without any internet connectivity as they usually have several ports for connecting different devices and cables.
- Or you can connect your TV to a DVD or Blu-ray player and enjoy some high-quality entertainment.
- Do you want to learn about an interesting hack? You can stream your favorite series or movie from any platform on your phone and mirror the screen on your TV via Bluetooth or an HDMI cable. Your devices need to be compatible with each other, and you are all set for some grand entertainment.
How to Connect Your Smart TV to the Internet?
Now that we have answered your question on will smart TV work without internet, let’s explore the different ways in which you can connect your television to the internet.
At the most basic level, you need to have:
- a smart TV with in-built internet connectivity.
- a high-speed or at least decent internet connection, whether it’s ethernet or wireless.
- In the case of a wireless internet connection, all you need to do is click the Menu button on your remote, go to Network settings and select Set up a wireless connection.
- With an Ethernet cable, you just need to plug the cable from your router directly into your TV.
- If you face any issues while doing so, you can also watch the video given below for more information.
In my opinion, it’s better to get a wireless connection as then you can place your smart television wherever you want without worrying about how far your ethernet cable can extend.
So, as shown above, the answer to our initial question; will a smart TV work without the internet, is a resounding yes.
As manufacturers add more innovation to these television sets in a competitive bid to outdo each other, you will soon see more high-end sets in the market with HDTV displays, high-quality audio features, and in-built internet connectivity.
While a smart TV can work perfectly without the internet, you need to factor in the higher cost of these sets and their limited functionality without internet connectivity before making a purchase.
If you have an internet or Wi-Fi connection at home, do remember to check whether it’s compatible with the model you are planning to purchase. However, many times, despite following all protocols, you may face issues with adjusting the volume on your Samsung Smart TV or turning on the Wi-Fi on your LG Smart Television set.
So, will you be using your smart TV with or without the internet?
Let us know in the comments below.
As an engineering graduate (and a full-time layabout), I am always looking for smart technological innovations to make my life simpler and more automated so that I can be even lazier than usual.