Watching anime cartoons has been one of my most favorite memories as a growing teenager. I am sure you would probably laugh about it but back then I was an introvert (I haven’t changed much now as well) and Anime helped me kill my time in a fun way. I wish Crunchyroll was available when I was going through that awkward phase of life. Enough digressing and let’s get back to the topic at hand – Crunchyroll not working on Roku.
Actually today’s article topic came from Jennifer who was struggling with getting Crunchyroll to play on Roku. After much persuasion she and Mark (her husband) agreed to give it a try. But somehow things didn’t seem to work as they were intended. So after helping her out with solving Crunchyroll roku problems, I decided to pen the fixes down. And here I am!
What is Crunchyroll?
Crunchyroll boasts of the largest collection of Anime and Manga shows and movies. In-fact you might be surprised to know that it belongs to Warner Media group.
The fact that it is available on other streaming hardware devices like Roku, Fire stick or Chromecast, makes its reach far and wide. And since Jennifer has a Roku, I advised her to watch it on Roku.
Now let’s get straight to the heart of the matter i.e how to fix Crunchyroll not working on Roku.
6 Simple Fixes for Crunchyroll Not Working on Roku
Even though Crunchyroll is an excellent streaming platform and application, technology doe have its own minor setbacks from time to time. You may have read my article 6 Ways to Watch Crunchyroll on Samsung TV & Get Your Daily Anime Dose! which delves into the finer details of what Crunchyroll is all about and some problems that come along with it.
Let’s get to the 6 fixes now!
1. Restart Your Roku:
Sometimes, the only thing that we need to do to fix all technical glitches is to restart the Device. Thus, trying to restart the Roku device is your best bet to make sure that Crunchyroll loads on your Roku device.
Let’s get on to the steps:
- Press home on the Roku device
- Choose Setting> System
- From the system options, select System Restart
- Your Device will take a few seconds before it restarts.
- Open the Crunchyroll app to check if it is working.
2. Check the Internet Connection:
This fix will come in handy especially when Crunchyroll is not loading on Roku. A bad internet connection is often than not more responsible for apps not
As I have already mentioned in the article on Crunchyroll logging me out , your internet speed should be a minimum of 2Mbps to play normal definition videos and 15 Mbps for HD videos. Therefore one of the basic things that one should do is to check the speed. You can use this website for the same.
In case the issue is with the internet, then resetting the router might help restore the speed. Another thing that can be done is to remove extra connected devices to free up the bandwidth.
3. Clear Cache:
Cache is like friction; till the time it is under control, it acts as a boon and the moment it goes un-managed, it comes back to bite you. Cache helps apps load faster however when it becomes huge, it results in slowing down the system. Therefore it is recommended to clear cache from time to time.
Steps to clear cache on Roku:
- Get hold of the Roku remote and press Home 5 times
- Press the button with the arrow up once.
- Press the rewind button two times.
- Press the forward arrow button twice.
This will ensure that the Cache on your Roku device has been cleared. Go on to check the status of the Crunchyroll app to check if the glitch has been resolved.
Note: You may require to Login into the application again once you have cleared the Cache.
4. Upgrade Roku:
Using an outdated Roku device could be one of the primary reasons why your Crunchyroll application is not working. There could be an incompatibility issue that is preventing the Device from functioning smoothly. Updating the Roku device is suggested to ensure nonstop entertainment.
Let’s get on to mitigating this fix with the steps mentioned below:
- Select the Home button on the remote.
- Press Settings> System. This can be done by pressing the Up button on the Roku remote and then press the OK to confirm on the remote.
- From system, choose Update and press Check now.
- If an update is available, then press download and install it manually.
- The next step is to go onto system update. This can be done by pressing OK on the Roku remote or the right forward button once when the system update is highlighted.
Note: The image shown above will show you the last time you checked your Roku device for an update and when it was updated. If you did not initiate an update and yet the screen shows that your Roku device was updated in the past 24-36 hours, then it indicates that you do not need to check for an update as your Device was automatically updated.
- The next step is to select Check now; this will enable your Roku device to look for any newly available updates.
- If your screen flashes a message that states “All software’s are UpToDate,” then you will not be able to install an update; however, if the message states “Updates Available,” then press continue to the next step.
Note: After pressing Check now, if your screen shows a message that says, “unable to update software,” then you need to make certain if you have connected Roku to your network. The steps to connect to the network are rather simple: Go to Settings> Network > Check connection. If you are having trouble with your connection, then.
Go to Settings > Network > Setup connection. Select your network of preference and enter your password.
- The last step is to press Update Now. After pressing the OK button on the Roku remote, the Device will start updating the software. The process could take a few minutes depending on the speed of your Internet and the last time when you updated your Roku device.
- Voila, you now must just wait patiently for your Roku device to get updated.
5. Re-install Crunchyroll Application:
One of the most sought-after methods to fix the Crunchyroll Roku problem is to uninstall the Crunchyroll application and then reinstall it again. Grab your
Roku remote and get on with the following steps to install and then reinstall Crunchyroll.
Steps to uninstall Crunchyroll
- Switch on the television and the Roku device.
- On the remote for the Roku device, press the home icon.
- On the Roku remote, press the arrow on the right-hand side
- Select Crunchyroll from the list of applications.
- Press the * button on the remote.
- Choose remove application option.
- The Crunchyroll application will be deleted from the Roku device.
Steps to Re-Install Crunchyroll on Roku
- Go back to the main menu by pressing home.
- Choose Streaming Channels.
- Go on to Search channels.
- Use the keyboard virtually and search for Crunchyroll.
- Select add channel so that Crunchyroll can be added to Roku TV.
- Open the application to check if it has been fixed.
6. Factory Reset
Doing a factory reset comes with a fair warning and should be your last resort, as once a factory reset has been carried out, all the channels and applications that you have installed on your Roku device will be deleted. All the settings will be changed to default settings, and you will need to log in again and add all the channels that were added prior to the rest.
Technical errors can, at times, cause various Roku applications to cease. Consequently, resetting the Device will most definitely help to fix the errors. The steps to carry out a factory reset are mentioned below:
- Press the home icon on the Roku remote.
- Choose Settings from the home screen.
- Select the system from the settings.
- Choose Advanced system settings from the system.
- Choose the option of Factory reset from the advanced settings.
- Punch in the pin that is shown on the screen and press okay to confirm carrying out the master rest for your Roku device.
- Install the Crunchyroll application to check if the error has been fixed.
Q1. Why does Crunchyroll give me an error code?
Answer – An error code occurs when the Crunchyroll application does not identify the IP address of your Roku device that is connected to the Internet. There could be numerous reasons for Crunchyroll to keep giving you an error code, but the most common causes for an error code are Network issues, an internet connection that is unstable or has poor speed or browser extensions, and an outdated version of the Crunchyroll application.
Q2. How to fix Crunchyroll Error Code?
Answer – Crunchyroll errors can be fixed by following the steps mentioned:
- Restart the Roku device.
- Reset your Internet Connection.
- Reduce the queue size.
- Disable all the browser extensions.
- Uninstall and then reinstall the Crunchyroll application.
Q3. What to do if your Crunchyroll login is not working?
Answer – A lot of users have faced the trouble of their Crunchyroll not logging in; here’s a quick guide to help you to mitigate this problem:
- Try to reattempt logging in.
- Check your email address for any errors that could have occurred while typing.
- Check your password and the user ID that you use to Login.
- Clear the Cache
- Clear cookies data
- Check the internet connection that you are using.
Also, make sure that you are using the same email address while logging in that you have used to register your Crunchyroll account.
It can be very troublesome if the Crunchyroll application stops working on your Roku, especially if you have a fun afternoon planned with family. If you are in a similar situation just as I was, then I sincerely hope that this article may have been of help to you.
Officially, Roku has not come up with any official fixes for Crunchyroll, and most of the fixes have been personally vetted by me so that I can be of help to all my users. Do drop in a comment if these fixes helped you and your friends. Till then, Adios!
As an engineering graduate (and a full-time layabout), I am always looking for smart technological innovations to make my life simpler and more automated so that I can be even lazier than usual.
2 thoughts on “Is Crunchyroll Not Working on Roku? 6 Fixes to Solve The Issue”