- You cannot change the Ring Doorbell sound that chimes outside your house when the Doorbell is pressed.
- However, you can lower its volume and set up a new ringtone for your Ring Doorbell by connecting a Ring Chime.
- There are different ringtones available for your Ring Chimes, like the Christmas tone, the Hanukkah, and a lot of other festive tones.
- You can use different Chime tones available on the Ring Chime to change the sound on your Ring Doorbell.
- You can also change the sound on your Ring Doorbell using other methods, such as connecting an external Echo device and hardwiring the Doorbell.
Ever since the building association in my area has allowed us to install Ring Doorbells in the apartments, almost every second apartment in my building now has a Ring Doorbell installed at their door. I can’t blame anyone because the Ring Video Doorbells are very popular for their remarkable features.
With a Ring Doorbell installed at your door, you can watch your door live anytime on the Ring App. The Ring App records the activities around your property in short video clips, notifies you with a Ring notification on your phone without delay, and many other similar valuable features. With that, you are not worried anymore about someone trespassing on your house in your absence. In that sense, the Ring Doorbell is no less than a natural guard for your home!
The Ring Doorbells ring a chime sound when the doorbell button is pressed, ostensibly letting the person know who has pressed the doorbell that the doorbell has rung.
With multiple Ring Doorbells near the house and the same Ring Doorbell sound, it’s hard to know whose Ring Doorbell has been pressed, yours or the neighbor’s.
Also, it can be annoying to hear the same chime sound from the Ring doorbells, all just within earshot of one another.
And you will agree that it is very irritating to answer the door when your Ring Doorbell has not rung. So to avoid any sort of turbulence, you might be wondering if you could change the Ring Doorbell sound to help make it clear when your Ring Doorbell has rung.
So, if you wish to learn about how to change the Ring Doorbell sound outside, unfortunately, you cannot do that.
The Ring Doorbells have an in-built chime that rings when the doorbell is pressed and you cannot change its sound. However, to improve the situation, you can lower the Ring Doorbell volume, to make it less invasive to the neighbors.
There is also a way out to change the Ring Doorbell sound which you hear when the doorbell rings – by connecting a Ring Chime to your Ring Doorbell.
Yes, you can enjoy listening to a different sound on your Ring Doorbell when you connect the Ring Chime to it.
In this article, I have gone into detail about how to change the Ring Doorbell sound by setting up a different Ring Doorbell Chime sound and how you can set up custom Ring Doorbell sounds so that the next time you are not confused when a Ring Doorbell is rung nearby.
So, keep reading further to learn how to change the Ring Doorbell tone outside with easy and straightforward techniques.
Does A Ring Doorbell Make A Sound?
As mentioned above, the Ring Doorbell has a Chime built inside it. When the Ring Doorbell button is pressed, you hear the doorbell chime outside.
For your Ring Doorbell to make a sound and work ideally in a flawless manner, there are some prerequisites that you need to meet on the Doorbell.
- Your Ring Doorbell should be sufficiently powered up at all times. Whether you own a wired Ring Doorbell or a battery-powered model, it is necessary to have a sufficient power supply to the Ring Doorbell.
- In another case, if your Ring Doorbell is low on power or, say, low on battery, there are not one but many issues you may face while using the Ring Doorbell.
- Without any power, your Ring Doorbell will not connect to the Wi-fi. It will not ring, and thus, you will not be able to hear your Ring Doorbell ringing inside the house.
- Also, your Ring Doorbell will not go live and will not detect any motion as well.
- You can check the Ring Doorbell power status on the Ring App and observe the Ring Doorbell for a flashing blue light. If your Ring Doorbell does not flash any light, it implies that there is no power on the Doorbell.
- If your Ring Doorbell isn’t making a sound when you press the button, check if you installed the Doorbell correctly.
- If it was wired or hardwired correctly and still not charging, you can either fix it yourself or contact Ring Support because the Ring Doorbell must be adequately charged to make a sound.
When the above prerequisites are met carefully on a Ring Doorbell, it makes a sound when you press the button or when the Doorbell senses any motion.
Now the matter at the moment is you can very well hear the sound of your Ring Doorbell, but you wish to change the Ring Doorbell sound.
Let’s explore the possibilities now about whether you can change the Ring Doorbell tone outside and, if not, what are the other methods to hear a different ringtone on your Ring Doorbell.
Can You Change Ring Doorbell Sound?
Officially, Ring has not approved any changes in the Ring Doorbell sound outside. According to the Ring’s protocols, you cannot change the Ring Doorbell tone outside.
Even though several requests have been submitted by Ring users way back since 2019, Ring has not announced any plans to update its features in terms of changing the Ring Doorbell sound outside.
And I know it can be confusing to have the same outdoor doorbell noise when you are close to others, especially in a condominium.
It disturbed me when each time I heard the Ring Doorbell sound outdoors, I ran to answer my door, only to find out that no one rang my Ring Doorbell. Or, I checked my phone for Ring notifications every time a Ring Doorbell rang outside.
Hence, you feel compelled to change the Ring Doorbell sound to avoid such a confusing state of mind.
Since you cannot do that officially, other methods exist to learn how to change the Ring Doorbell sound.
But before you change the Ring Doorbell sound, you must turn it off completely to make any modifications to its sound.
So, let’s get started.
How To Change Ring Doorbell Sound
(4 Methods To Set Up Custom Ring Doorbell Sound; All Tried And Tested)
As mentioned above, the first step towards changing the Ring Doorbell sound is to disable the Doorbell sound altogether.
After the Ring Doorbell sound has been turned off, you should not be able to hear any sound when you press the Doorbell button.
Here are four simple methods to change the sound on your Ring Doorbell. Not only this, but you can also set up custom Ring Doorbell sounds like Christmas, Halloween, Hanukkah, etc., to lift your festive spirits.
- Lower or reduce the volume of the Ring Doorbell Sound Outside;
- Connect a Ring Chime to your Ring Doorbell;
- Use an external Echo device, such as Alexa, with your Ring Doorbell;
- Hardwire an existing external Outdoor Chime to the Ring Doorbell.
The first step to change the Ring Doorbell sound outside is to reduce its volume when the Ring Doorbell rings.
1. Lower Down or Reduce the Volume of the Ring Doorbell Sound Outside;
Follow the steps mentioned below to learn how to mute Ring Doorbell by disabling the sound so that no sound is heard outside when the Ring Doorbell rings.
- Open the Ring App on your phone and tap on Devices.
- Now, select your Ring Doorbell.
- Tap on Device Settings and then select General Settings.
- From the displayed options, click on Volume Settings.
- Now tap on ‘Configuration Options.
- Once you open this option, click on the slide for ‘Doorbell Tone Volume’.
- Drag the slider to lower down the Doorbell Volume.
- Take it to zero to turn off the Doorbell volume entirely.
After setting these configurations, no sound will be produced when someone rings your Ring Doorbell.
After disabling the sound on the Ring Doorbell, the next step is to set up a custom Ring Doorbell sound.
Since you know there is no official way to change the Ring Doorbell sound, I have discovered a way to help you change your Ring Doorbell sound.
You can connect a Ring Chime or an external Echo device to your Ring Doorbell or use your outdoor bell socket to change the sound the Ring Doorbell produces on ringing.
I have discussed all of these, but I found using the Ring Chime very convenient.
That is why I have discussed using a Ring Chime as an option to change the Doorbell sound in great detail ahead since it is the easiest to install and connect with a Ring Doorbell.
Also, plenty of custom ringtones are available on the Ring Chime, which will make your Ring Doorbell ring on a different sound after a Ring is connected.
2. Connect a Ring Chime to your Ring Doorbell;
A Ring Chime, as popular as the Ring Video Doorbells, acts as a speaker for your existing Ring devices. You can easily set up a Ring Chime anywhere in your house, whether inside or outside.
When you connect a Ring Chime to your Ring Doorbell, you can hear your Ring Doorbell loudly inside your house. Using the Ring App, you need to plug the Ring Chime into a socket and connect it to your Ring Doorbell.
On the other hand, you can also choose to install the latest model, the Ring Chime Pro, which acts not only as a Chime but also as a Wi-fi extender. It works significantly to improve your Wi-fi signal strength around your house, facilitating you with better speed and connectivity.
Coming back to the Ring Chime,
- There are around 15 customizable ringtone options available on the first Gen models of a Ring Chime and about 30+ different sounds on the second Gen model. They can easily be downloaded from the Chime library.
- And then, once you set up custom Ring Chime tones, your Ring Doorbell chimes with a new vibrant sound, as per your selection. This will personalize your Ring Doorbell and control its sound features by setting up a different Ring Doorbell Chime sound.
Adhere to the steps mentioned below to set up a different Ring Doorbell Chime sound using the Ring Chime:
- Open the Ring App on your phone.
- From the list of devices connected, tap on the Ring Chime.
- Tap on Audio Settings and then click on Chime Tones.
- You will see a whole list of available Chime tones.
- Tap on ‘Test Sound’ to play each tone to select one for you. Tap Save after you select one Chime Tone.
- Adjust the sound level on the new Chime tone using the Volume Slider button.
With the explanation above, you can select a new Ring Chime tone for your Ring Doorbell. There are plenty of festive ringtones available in the Ring Chime Tone library which will be perfectly suitable for Ring Doorbell when Christmas is around the corner.
Well, there is a series of Christmas holiday season Ring Doorbell Chimes that you can download from the Chime library. You can select from these Christmas and Hanukkah Chimes for your Ring Chime and set up your personal Ring Doorbell Christmas Chime.
Tap on these Chime tones and click on ‘Test Sound.’ Once you have selected one for your Ring Chime, adjust the Volume slider to set up the Volume.
With all the information above, you know how to use a Ring Chime to change the Ring Doorbell sound.
If you also agree and prefer to use the Ring Chime for your Ring Doorbell, there are a few things you should take into consideration.
- There must be an outdoor socket to use the Ring Chime to change the Ring Doorbell tone outside.
- You must ensure that the Ring Chime is not plugged at a conspicuous location. You must install it at a slightly shaded spot because once plugged outside the house; it can easily be stolen or picked up by anyone.
After successfully changing your Ring Doorbell sound outside using the Ring Chime, there is another exciting feature. You can also set up a different festive Ring notification on your phone.
How To Change Ring Doorbell Notification Sound:
Won’t it be nice if your phone doesn’t ring up the boring ‘ding’ when there’s a Ring notification? Check out the simple steps to learn how to change the Ring Doorbell notification sound:
- Open the Ring App and click on Devices.
- Select your Ring Doorbell and tap on Device Settings.
- Now click on Notification Settings and select App Notification Tones.
- Select a tone to test it and save the one you like.
After you’re done, your phone will play a different cheerful sound next time there’s a Ring notification.
So this is how you can use a Ring Chime very conveniently to set up a new and festive Ring Doorbell Chime sound. I found using the Ring Chime the easiest way to change my Ring Doorbell sound, but feel free to explore other methods to see what works for you.
3. Change the Sound on Ring Doorbell using Amazon Echo Chime.
If you don’t have a Ring Chime or don’t wish to invest in one, your existing external Echo devices can act as a Chime for your Ring Doorbell if you have an Amazon Echo Speaker!
So for this method, the first requisite is to turn off your Ring Doorbell sound, as explained before, and then plug your Echo device outside into a socket.
It is easy to set up an Amazon Echo Doorbell sound. However, for starters, I have explained the setup process here.
When your Echo device is set up, it will play a Chime sound whenever the Ring Doorbell button is pressed.
To set your Echo device as Chime, use the following steps:
- Open your phone’s Play Store and launch the Alexa app on your phone.
- Now go to Devices and click on Cameras.
- Alexa now considers Smart Video Doorbells as Cameras, so you’ll find your Ring Doorbell in the Cameras option.
- Select your Ring Doorbell and click on Announcement Devices.
- Select your outdoor Echo, and you’ll see a tick next to it.
- Your outdoor Echo device will now play your selected sound, not the regular single Ring Doorbell sound. Within the Alexa app, there are a dozen sounds that you can choose and save to play on your Ring Doorbell.
This approach is also practical as you can select any ringtone within the Alexa App. You can play any sound, turn lights on/off, and do much more. You can do anything that’s within the Alexa App.
However, it is slightly more complicated than setting up a Ring Chime on your Ring Doorbell.
Let’s explore the last possible option for changing the Ring Doorbell sound i.e., by hardwiring the Ring Doorbell to your existing Doorbell.
4. Hardwire an Existing External Outdoor Chime to the Ring Doorbell.
If you already have a doorbell Chime that you would like to connect to the Ring Doorbell, you can try this method too, to change the sound of your Ring Doorbell. You can hardwire your Ring Doorbell to an existing doorbell.
Now when you change the sound on your existing doorbell, that sound will play on the Ring Doorbell when the button is pressed, since the Ring Doorbell’s own volume has been reduced to zero.
Speaking of this, hardwiring a Ring Doorbell to an existing doorbell is an easy process. you need your Ring Doorbell, a compatible Power Adapter, and an extender if there is no socket available outside.
It’s absolutely great when you have a wide variety of sound options to choose from because you can then set up the mood for any upcoming occasion.
I’m sure, using at least one of the methods above, you will positively be able to change your Ring Doorbell sound to a nice Happy Birthday tone, Christmas tone, etc.
Q1. Can you change the notification sound for a Ring Doorbell?
Answer – Yes, of course. You can change the notification sound your iPhone, iPad, or any other smart device makes when the Ring Doorbell is pressed or detects a motion. To do this, you can open the Ring App and select your Ring Doorbell. Then, open the Notification settings and choose the App Notification Alerts option. You will find a list of different ringtones available for your Ring Doorbell, which you can select as a notification tone.
Q2.Can a Ring Doorbell play Christmas music?
Answer – For a Ring Doorbell, ten different tunes are available for all occasions. There are classic Christmas Carols, Hanukkah songs, or something festive. Using your phone, you can select them for your Ring Doorbell or the Ring Chime. As I mentioned above, you can access these different festive ringtones for your Ring Doorbell in the notification alerts section in the Ring App and set one for your Ring Alerts and Motion Alerts.
Q3. How can I hear my Ring Doorbell inside my house?
Answer – To hear your Ring Doorbell inside your house, you can install a Ring Chime or the Ring Chime Pro with your Ring Doorbell. With a Ring Chime installed, the Ring Doorbell rings inside your house when someone presses the Doorbell button, or there’s a motion picked up by the Ring Doorbell. The Ring Chime Pro also acts as a Wi-fi extender and plays the role of a Chime for your Doorbell. It is known to improve Wi-fi signals significantly.
Q4. Why is my Ring Doorbell so loud?
Answer – If you feel that your Ring Doorbell is annoyingly loud, you can turn down the volume of the Doorbell using the Ring App. To change the volume of your Ring Doorbell, open the Ring App and access your Ring Doorbell’s Device Settings. Click on the General Settings option, and you will find an option to lower the Doorbell volume.
Q5. Can I add ringtones to my Ring Chime?
Answer – Yes, you can add new ringtones to your Ring Chime. You will have to connect your Ring Chime to the Ring App. When you open the Ring App, select the Ring Chime from the list of connected devices and tap Settings. Then tap on Chime Tones to access the list of new ringtones for your Chime. You can listen to them before selecting them and adjusting their volume. Save the settings after you select a new Chime tone.
A Ring Doorbell is an incredible innovation that holds the capacity to transform your house security setup. Since Ring has yet refrained from updating the Ring doorbell sounds outside, it can be disappointing and confusing to hear the same routine Doorbell sound around you.
Out of all the four methods I mentioned above, I vouch for using a Ring Chime to change the sound of my Ring Doorbell. With the Ring Chime, you can easily change the Ring Doorbell sound, and you don’t have to bother about purchasing any other external Echo device, for that matter.
With the Ring App, you can easily control the features of the Ring Chime, similarly to the Ring Doorbell. So, with the same App, you have the convenience of monitoring both the Ring devices and can now enjoy your Ring Doorbell beam up with a cheerful sound, adding up to the festivities around you.
I hope you will find this article useful to help you change the sound of your Ring Doorbell. If you find any other value in addition to the methods above, please let me know in the comments section.
As an engineering graduate (and a full-time layabout), I am always looking for smart technological innovations to make my life simpler and more automated so that I can be even lazier than usual.